Dec 16, 2017

Orange Honey Marmalade

We bought some oranges - they were too sour for good eating. And I had the crystalized ends of an old Costco bottle of honey, plus a new bottle of honey. So I made marmalade.



Ingredients:

  • 6 oranges, washed well
  • 1 to 1.5 cups honey (you will need more honey for really sour oranges)
  • (Maybe be helpful) - 2 tablespoons corn starch + 1 tablespoon water (I used this)
  • (May be helpful)  - 2 tablespoons brown sugar (I used this)

Instructions:

  1. Depending on how sour your oranges are, use a microplaner to zest all or some of them
    (I zested them all)
  2. Peel oranges, removing white pith. Section oranges, then cut into chunks.
  3. Remove seeds if the have them, and process orange chinks in food processor for 8 to 10 whirls, until pretty smooth with some small pieces.
  4. If your honey is very crystalized and thick, warm bottle in bath of hot water
    (or microwave gently in stages so you don't melt the honey bottle.)
  5. Pour oranges into heavy pan, add honey and the zest, and heat to about 220 degrees.
    (I cooked on high in crockpot for 2  or 3 hours with the lid ajar.)
  6. As needed, mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with a tablespoon of water (or more water as needed) to make a slurry. Stir cornstarch into marmalade.
    (I then heated my marmalade in a microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes, until temperature reached about 215 or so and the marmalade thickened to my tastes.)
  7. As needed, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of brown sugar as needed
    (I added this, my marmalade need a bit more sweetening.)
  8. Let cool, store in refrigerator until you use it.

Carole's Notes:

We all liked this - especially my mom! It is really nice on buttered toast.

The recipe is lightly adapted from http://tasty-yummies.com/honey-sweetened-orange-marmalade/

No comments:

Post a Comment