Jul 23, 2016

Mini Blueberry Sourdough Muffins (and Mini Banana Berry Muffins)

My sourdough starter needed to be fed, and I had blueberries.
I now have many mini blueberry sourdough muffins - although some seem to be evaporating...


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup sourdough starter
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup water + 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
    (or I used 1/2 cup water + 2 ounces blueberry yogurt instead)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup sugar + 1 heaping tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen

Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Grease 48 wells of two mini muffin pans with cooking spray.
  3. In a large bowl, stir together starter, oil, water & zest (or water and yogurt), egg, and sugar.
  4. In another bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
  5. Stir dry mixture into wet mixture until just combined, do not over mix.
  6. Gently fold in blueberries.
    (Or you could wait, and drop in 3 or so berries after spooning in batter)
  7. Spoon batter into a wells of mini muffin pan
    (I used a small cookie scoop)
  8. Fill cups about 2/3 full.
    (I like to drop an extra berry or so in each.)
  9. Optional - sprinkle each muffin with a little coarse sparkling sugar.
  10. Bake at 375º for 10 to 12 minutes.

Carole's Notes:

This made a LOT of muffins. After making 48 muffins, and even after fishing out most of the berries I still had over a cup of batter left. I also had a very ripe banana which I knew I would not eat.

So I extended the batter - I added another 3 ounces of the blueberry yogurt, the banana cut up into slices then quartered, 1/2 cup of flour, and about 2 ounces of water. I made a crumb topping using a heaped tablespoon of brown sugar, a heaped tablespoon of Cheerios (which I crushed with the spoon), and a tablespoon of melted butter.
I cleaned one mini muffin pan, re-sprayed it, and  filled 24 wells with the banana batter. I dropped in 2 blueberries per well, and sprinkled each mini muffin with a little topping. Baked for 12 minutes - just need to find folks that like baked bananas!

 

Lightly adapted from http://www.turnips2tangerines.com/2014/03/sourdough-blueberry-muffins.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment