Dec 27, 2015

Biscuits (from Smitten Kitchen)

I used Alex's leftover biscuit in the stuffing this week, and he wanted a biscuit with his breakfast.
 So I just  had to bake again.
(Sorry Doug - I promise I will stop baking for a while -- you can count on this, because I am out of all purpose flour.)

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups (373 grams) all-purpose flour
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar (to taste, see note above)
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon table salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 12 tablespoons (1.5 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
  • 1 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup Greek yogurt)   

Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 °F.
  2. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  3. Whir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in food processor.
  4. Cut in butter with short bursts into flour mix until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
  5. Add in buttermilk and stir until large, craggy clumps form.
    (May be best to do this by hand.)
  6. Knead mixture briefly by hand until it just holds together.
  7. Place dough to floured parchment paper on counter.
  8. Pat out until 1/2 thick.
  9. Cut out with a round cutter (2 inches for regular sized biscuits, 3 inches for large ones) by pressing straight down
  10. Place rounds to prepared sheet, spacing two inches apart.
    (Instead of cut biscuits, you can make drop biscuits by scooping 1/4-cup blobs onto baking sheet, spacing two inches apart.)
  11. Bake in oven until biscuits are golden brown on top, about 12 to 14 minutes.
  12. Cool slightly, and serve warm.

Carole's Notes:

 Recipe is lightly adapted from http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/03/my-favorite-buttermilk-biscuits/
My recipe did not rise as much as I was expecting - my baking soda may be old. I also used about 1/4 bread flour because I ran out of all purpose. They were still light and tasty.
I may prefer the Big Daddy's biscuit recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment