Sep 12, 2015

Fruitcake - King Arthur Mix Goes Free Range

I made my first fruitcake today. I thought I had a Williams Sonoma mini loaf pan, but I really have a petite mini loaf pan.
So if a fruitcake recipe makes two 8.5 x 4.5 pans, or three 7 x 4 pans, or six 5.5 by 3 pans, how many 3.75 x 2.5 pans will it make?
I think the answer is sixteen.
But I decided that my Baker's Edge Simple Lasagna pan 11.5 x 12.5 is equivalent to the six 5.5 x 3 pans, so I baked it in that. It turned out fine.



Ingredient Guidelines:

20 ounce King Arthur Fruit Cake mix (it was a present from my dad and mom!)
     + ingredients suggested on the box to make batter for fruit cake
1 cup raisins
1 cup dates
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried blueberries
1 cup dried cherries
some eggs
some softened butter
some water
I think I added in extra spices:
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

Non-Instructions  Guidelines:

  1. Soak the fruit in 1/2 cup of run for an hour or more to overnight. Maybe microwave fruit and rum for 1 minute (or until it's very hot), cover, and let rest 1 hour.  Sip some rum. 
  2. Make up the batter - add the ingredients listed on the mix box. (I threw out the box, so I don't remember eggs, water, oil, etc. needed... ) Sip some rum. 
  3. (I remember beating butter and sugar, then whipping in eggs, then folding in mix. Find a recipe or two and follow them. I can't recall how long I cooked it either.)
  4. Spoon the batter into the pan, filling them about 3/4 full. Sip some rum. 
  5. Maybe cook for an hour or so at 350. Sip some rum. 
  6. The cakes are done when a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
  7. Remove cake from oven and place on cooling rack. 
  8. Baste top with whiskey/rum and allow to cool completely before removing from pan. 
  9. When cake is completely cooled, wrap in cheesecloth. (If you used a lasagna pan, cut into 7 or 8 chunks before wrapping.)
  10. Seal each cake in saran wrap, and place in a air tight container 
  11. Every 2 to 3 days for a week or so, brush cheese cloth with whiskey/rum.
  12. Flavor will enhance as cake 'steeps'  over the next few weeks.

Carole's Notes:

  • I don't like the candied fruit, so I used Alton Brown's free range fruit idea with dried fruit.
  • I believe inter-mixing recipes while sipping rum lowers the repeatability of a recipe.
  • I did use some Apple whiskey as the first basting, as well as some rum for brushing the next few times. 
  • All the whipping of butter and eggs made my cakes very light - not dense at all.
  • We ate one cake within the week. The cinnamon and ginger made it sort of like a spice cake with fruit and spirits.
  • I gave away two cakes to my Dad at the end of September.
  • As of Dec 9, 2015 - the rest are still steeping waiting to be future Christmas 2015 presents.


Some aspects of this:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/everyones-favorite-fruitcake-recipe
and that:
http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/alton-brown/free-range-fruitcake.html

No comments:

Post a Comment