Aug 24, 2023

Mantecadas (Mexican Muffins)

I was thinking about making a Mexican dessert for a pot luck, and I find this one.
I decided to make it dairy free for Mary Grace.

Ingredients:

  • 3 eggs (room temperature)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup milk (use dairy free milk as an option)
    (for dairy free, I used 1/2 cup water plus 1 tablespoon potato flakes plus 8 ounces sourdough starter)

  • 3/4 cup  (175 g) vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 orange zest (optional)
  • 1 2/3 cup  (200 gr) all purpose flour (I used 80 grams flour since I added used sourdough starter)
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
  • .5 teaspoon ground cinnamon  
  • Option - 8 ounces sourdough starter (reduce milk and flour as noted if using)
  • optional - coarse sugar for sprinkling on top

Instructions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Beat eggs and add sugar, mix until well combined in large bowl.
  3. Add the milk and mix again.
  4. Slowly drizzle in the oil while mixing.
  5. Add vanilla and orange zest (if using), then mix again.
  6. Optional - stir in the sourdough starter if using.
  7. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon.
  8. Add the dry ingredients a bit at a time into the wet ingredients.
  9. As needed.scrape down the sides until the flour mixture is completely mixed.
  10. Line a muffin pan with cupcake wrappers - use red if you have them!
  11. Fill each well ¾ full. (My cupcakes did not rise very much - I think because of the excess oil.)
  12. Once the oven is ready, place the muffin pan inside the oven.
  13. Immediately lower the oven to 400 degrees F.
  14. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
    (If you are baking mini muffin versions - bake at 350 for 15 minutes or so.)

  15. Let cool for 5 minutes in pan, then move to a rack to finish cooling
  16. Optionally lightly frost the cupcakes with frosting. I used this recipe https://carolelikesroundfood.blogspot.com/2023/08/tangering-frosting-non-dairy.html
 

Carole's Notes:

I followed In Maggie's Kitchen for the cupcakes - but Doug and I both thought the cupcakes were too oily.

So I added a non-traditional tangerine frosting, and the extra sweetness helped mask the oiliness.
I updated the recipe above to show the lower amount of oil in the Mama Latina Tips version.

The recipe is lightly adapted from https://www.mamalatinatips.com/2022/03/mexican-mantecada-muffin-recipe.html and https://inmamamaggieskitchen.com/mantecadas/#recipe

 

No comments:

Post a Comment