Jul 4, 2019

Broccoli Salad

I was looking for a light broccoli salad and found a no-mayo recipe that I decided to try. 


 

Ingredients:

Salad:
  • 1 pound broccoli florets (from 1 ½ pounds broccoli stalks), thinly sliced and then roughly chopped (I used frozen broccoli that I thawed, drained, and dried)
  • ½ cup raw sunflower seeds or slivered almonds
  • ½ cup finely chopped Vidalia onion
  • ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (possibly optional, but not at my house)
  • ½ cup carrots, chopped finely
  • ⅓ cup dried cranberries, chopped
     
Dressing:
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium clove garlic minced (or 1/4 teaspoon powdered)
  • ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt

Instructions:

  1. If using frozen broccoli, rinse to start thawing. Let dry for a few minutes on a kitchen towel while toasting the seeds.
  2. Cook the seeds in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Stir frequently (so they won't burn) until the seeds are turning golden, about 5 minutes.
    (I chopped the veggies while the seeds were toasting - but I kept stirring the seeds!)
  3. Whisk all of the dressing ingredients (vinegar, mustard, honey, olive oil, garlic, and salt) in a medium serving bowl until well blended.
  4. Add the broccoli, onion, cheese, carrots, and cranberries to the serving bowl. Stir the salad until all pieces are lightly coated with dressing. 
  5. Marinate at least 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.

Carole's Notes:

I made half of this recipe for just Doug and me to go with dinner. I let the marinade soak in for about 2 hours.
We liked this - it was light and a tasty way to eat broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment