Jul 21, 2018

Meatball Salad

I was looking for a low carb dinner idea. I ran across a mention of Meatball Salad. Hmm - I have frozen meatballs and salad fixings. I also like roasted peppers and onions. Ok, I had a plan for dinner.



Ingredients:

  • 1 bell pepper, cut into 1" or so pieces
  • 1 medium Vidalia onion, halved, and then quartered to make 8 chunks
  • 8 ounces of meatballs (4 ounces per person)
  • 24 ounces tomato sauce (I made some up from tomato paste, diced tomatoes, garlic and spices)
  • salad greens (I used a mix of spinach and romaine, cut into fork size pieces)
  • 1 large tomato, cut into bit size pieces
  • 2 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese

Instructions:

  1. Roast peppers and onions for 20 - 25 minutes, then keep warmish. (I used my Air Fryer)
  2. Heat meatballs in oven for 20 minutes or microwave (I cooked mine in microwave for about 3 minutes on a paper towel in a glass baking dish.)
    --> Optional: slice meatballs in half or quarters to bite size pieces.
  3. Heat tomato sauce, add in meatballs. Let meatballs simmer in sauce for 15 minutes or so.
  4. Rinse and spin dry salad greens. Place on dinner plates.
  5. Place roasted onions and peppers on top of greens.
  6. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over greens.
  7. Spread tomatoes on each plate.
  8. Ladle 1/2 of meatballs on each salad, add sauce. Serve!

Carole's Notes:

I liked this  - Doug was not so sure about it. He thought tomato sauce on salad greens was a bit weird. But I like tomato sauce, so it seemed fine to me.

As an alternate to tomato sauce, next time I might cook the meatballs, and then place them in 6 ounces or so of Italian dressing to marinate a bit. Or else I might separate the meatballs. and let him use his favorite dressing - I will use tomato sauce again!

The meatball salad was inspired by https://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/meatball-and-tomato-salad

No comments:

Post a Comment