Nov 5, 2016

Pork, Kielbasa, and Sauerkraut

I have not been cooking for awhile. To make up for it, today I made marbled sourdough rye bread, then I made quick pressure cooker apple sauce . (I also made Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Bites and Baked Apple Fritters for snacks for social hour tomorrow...)

WIth all that baking, I knew that I should make something for dinner as well. I decided that a crock port of pork, kielbasa, and sauerkraut would be a natural choice to go with rye bread and apple sauce.


Ingredients:

  • 2 pounds sauerkraut, rinsed & drained (preferably fresh refrigerated sauerkraut, I did not rinse and drain)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 4 garlic cloves, crushed)
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 pounds boneless ribs (I used pork shoulder country-style ribs)
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 pound beef kielbasa, cut in 3 to 4 inch chunks (mine was pre-cooked) 

Instructions:

  1. Mix sauerkraut with garlic, pepper, coriander, caraway, and brown sugar
  2. Pour about 2 cups of sauerkraut into bottom of crockpot
  3. Place the boneless ribs in next, nestle in sauerkraut
  4. Drop in bay leaves
  5.  Layer on sliced onions and rest of sauerkraut.
  6. Layer kielbasa chunks on top, nestle in sauerkraut.
  7. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, on high for 3 to 4 hours.
    (Or in pressure cooker for 30 minutes on high)

Carole's Notes:

Doug and I agreed this was tasty. When you serve this, put the sauerkraut on top of the meat - they are best together. This recipe makes a lot - expect to serve 8 people or have leftovers.

The recipe was my version of  http://dadcooksdinner.com/2012/12/pressure-cooker-pork-and-sauerkraut.html/

No comments:

Post a Comment