Nov 17, 2019

Low Carb Stuffed Peppers

I bought bell peppers today at Costco, but found when I got home that I already had five. Since we are trying to eat more low carb, I made up a low carb stuffed pepper recipe.


Ingredients:

  • 6 bell peppers
  • 1 cup diced onions (I used 1/2 a large Vidalia)
  • 1 pound Italian meatballs (or hamburger, maybe with some extra seasoning)
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano 
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (+ another 1/2 cup for topping)

Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Slice off tops of the bell peppers, keeping as much of the side height as you can.
  3. Place the peppers in a 7 x 11 casserole, and microwave on high for 8 to 10 minutes to soften.
  4. Dice up tops of peppers, saute 1 cup of diced peppers and 1 cup of onions until softened.
    (I had extra pepper pieces, which I froze.) 
  5. Sprinkle veggies with the spices.
  6. Cook meatballs, and dice into chunks.
  7. In large bowl, combine eggs, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese. Stir in veggies and meat to make the stuffing.
  8. Fill the peppers with the stuffing, top with some extra shredded mozzarella. 
  9. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
  10. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Carole's Notes:

We liked this! Doug thought it would also be good with a marinara sauce - maybe next time I will use a cup of marinara instead of the eggs, or serve some marinara sauce on the side.

The recipe is my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment