Mar 15, 2017

Thai Chicken in Peanut Sauce (Chicken Praram)

I wanted to try to make a chicken praram I had for dinner at a Thai restaurant last week. I found a similiar recipe, and adjusted it a bit for the ingredients I had as well as my mom and my tastes.



Ingredients:

  • 13.5 ounces coconut milk
    or
    • 9 ounces hot water (not quite boiling - 165 or so)
    • 1/2 cup dry coconut flakes, unsweetened 
  • 1.5 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 - 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 tablespoon red curry paste
    or
    • 1 teaspoon vinegar
    • 1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted
    • 1 teaspoon red curry powder
    • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 3 rounded tablespoons creamy peanut butter 
  • 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • juice of 1/2 lime
  • 2.5 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1⁄2 cup finely chopped roasted peanuts 
  • 1 bunch spinach leaves

Instructions:

  1. Start some brown rice cooking.
  2. Make coconut milk if you need it (I did!)
    (I soaked the coconut starting with near boiling water for about 30 minutes, then ran it through my Vitamix blender)
  3. Add coconut milk and ginger to a saucepan, and stir until well blended. Heat over medium heat until simmering.
  4. Add the chicken pieces to the pan. 
  5. Reduce the heat and let chicken simmer for 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
  6. Remove the chicken from the pan with a slotted spoon, and place in a bowl while finishing the sauce.
  7. To the coconut sauce in the pan, add the peanut butter, red curry paste or substitute ingredients, soy sauce, brown sugar, lime juice and chopped peanuts. 
  8. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes or until the sauce is creamy. 
  9. Adjust flavors as needed to taste.
  10. To the pan, add the chicken and any collected juices, and warm for about 2 minutes.
  11. Spoon the chicken and peanut sauce over the spinach leaves on a plate. 
  12. Serve with brown rice.

Carole's Notes:

Both mom and I loved this version.

I admit I was missing some of the ingredients from the original recipe, so made some subs for the coconut milk and the red curry sauce, and adjusted the final sauce to the taste.

Doug thinks it could be spicier - so I may add a squirt or two of Siracha sauce next time.

The recipe is adapted from http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-rama-in-thai-peanut-sauce-326407

No comments:

Post a Comment