Jan 16, 2017

Multigrain Bread

It's Martin Luther King Day and I have the day off, so I decided to take the opportunity to try a new bread recipe.  This time I made from the Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread by Peter Reinhardt.



Ingredients:

 Soaker:
  • 3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons coarse cornmeal, millet, quinoa, or amaranth (I used quinoa)
  • 3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoonsrolled oats (I used quick oats)
  • 2 tablespoons + 1.5 teaspoon wheat bran (I used wheat germ or crushed Cheerios)
  • 2.5 ounces water
    (since I was soaking this morning, I used nearly boiling water)
 Main bread:
  • 3.6 cups (16.2 ounces) bread flour
    (I used 1/2 AP, and 1/2 white whole wheat, and 4 ounces less flour since I used 8 ounces sourdough starter)
  • 3.5 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1 tablespoon _.5 teaspoons instant yeast
  • 3.5 tablespoons cooked brown rice (I used instant rice)
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 4.75 cup buttermilk or milk
  • 7.25 ounces water (I used 2 ounces, since I used 8 ounces sourdough starter)
  • (optional - 8 ounces sourdough starter)

Instructions:

  1. Let soaker soak overnight (or heat 2.5 ounces water to boiling, and stir soaker mix. Let cool for 15 minutes or so). 
  2. Grease 4 x 12  loaf pan with cooking spray.
  3. In stand mixing bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, salt and yeast. Then add the soaker, rice, honey, milk, and water.
  4. Knead on medium-low speed for 8-10 minutes, until it is smooth and tacky, but not sticky. (I gradually added another 1/4 cup of flour to my dough to make it less sticky.)
  5. Lift out dough, mist bowl with cooking spray, drop dough in, and spray top. Cover and let rise for about 90 minutes to double in volume.
  6. After doubling, pat out dough into an approximate 8 x 12 inch rectangle. 
  7. Shape dough by rolling from short end, pressing every turn to two to keep pressure.
  8. Fit log into pan. Mist with water, sprinkle with poppy seeds, and then mist with cooking spray. Mist some plastic wrap with cooking spray, and tent over pan. Let rise about 90 minutes, until dough rises above pan lip by about 1 inch.
  9. About 30 minutes before the bread has finished rising, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 
  10. Bake the loaf of bread for 20 minutes on the middle rack of the oven, turn it 180 degrees, then bake another 15 or 20 minutes until the bread is deep brown and the internal temperature reaches 190 degrees.
  11. Remove from the oven, and remove bread from the loaf pan to cool.

Carole's Notes:

We liked this bread - I will make it again and try to use more of the recommended soaker ingredients! I thought the taste was very good and lightly sweet, and texture has a nice amount of chewiness.

The original recipe for 9 x 5 pan, in my recipe I upped measurements by 20% for a 12 x 4 pan.

The recipe was lightly adapted from from  The Bread Baker's Apprentice, 15th Anniversary Edition: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread by Peter Reinhart.

No comments:

Post a Comment