Feb 28, 2016

Sourdough Pizza Crust

Doug suggested I make a sourdough pizza crust for dinner. Ok! I saved 4 ounces of Hebert (my sourdough starter) and used the rest to make a pizza crust.
  


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup sourdough starter, unfed from refrigerator
    (mine started at room temperature)
  • 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast or more
    (I used 1 teaspoon yeast, because I was starting at 4:30 pm for dinner tonight)
  • 1/2 cup hot tap water
    (mine was warmed to about 105 degrees, since my starter was room temperature)
  • 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Instructions:

  1. Spoon 1 cup starter into bowl of a stand mixer. Stir in the yeast, let it sit while you gather other ingredients.
  2. Heat the water as needed in the microwave, mix water in with starter.
  3. Using a dough hook, mix in flour then knead at medium speed for 5 to 7 minutes or so until smooth and slightly sticky.
  4. Pull dough out of mixer bowl, grease bowl with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil.
  5. Drop dough back in bowl, flip to oil both sides.
  6. Allow dough until it's just about doubled in bulk. With 1 teaspoon yeast and sitting in a warm place, this took about an hour for me.
  7. With less yeast, this may take 2 to 4 hours. 
  8. Use all the dough for a thick crust pizza that fills about a 14” pizza pan.
    (Or make two smaller thin crust pizzas of about 10 inches each)
  9. Sprinkle flour on parchment paper, then press out dough on the parchment paper leaving a beaded rim around edge. 
  10. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
  11. Let dough rise 15 to 20 minutes or it is thick as you like. 
  12. Pre-bake the crust on parchment paper on the pizza stone or a pizza pan for about 5 minutes before topping. 
  13. Top, then bake until the crust is brown and the cheese is melted, about 5 to 7 more minutes.

Carole's Notes:

   
I liked this crust - it has some flavor, and was a nice use of my starter. Although this time I pre-cooked it for 5 minutes on a metal pizza pan because the oven was already hot, I would use my pizza stone in the future.

I found the dough had a lot of oven spring, so ended up being a fairly thick crust pizza. After pre-baking, I topped it and baked it for another 5 to 7 minutes to get the crust brown and cheese metled.

Recipe is lightly adapted from http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-pizza-crust-recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment