Mar 20, 2020

Instant Pot Butter Chicken (with Extra Veggies).

My old stove top pressure cooker got sick, and lost a bolt in the pie I made last Saturday. We could not fix it - Doug tried. So I decided to get an Instant Pot. It came in the mail today. My sister Sue recommended I try Butter Chicken as my first recipe.



Ingredients:

  • 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 5-6 cloves garlic, chopped a bit
  • 1-2 teaspoons minced ginger
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala (I have a mix from India)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
    (If frozen, add 3 minutes to total time to pressure cook)
  • 1 bell pepper, cut into 1" pieces
  • 1 potato (peeled & cut into bite size pieces)
  • 1 cup of diced carrots
  • 4 tablespoons butter cut into pats
  • 4 ounces Heavy Cream
    (I used cottage cheese because I had it)
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala (this is a second teaspoon)
  • 1/4-1/2 cup chopped cilantro
    (I subbed in some fresh arugula, mustard greens, and 1 teaspoon ground coriander)

Instructions:

  1. Place tomatoes, garlic, and spices into an Instant Pot.
  2. Mix the sauce well, then place the chicken on top of the sauce. Flip the chicken so the top side also has sauce on it.
    (If using frozen chicken, push it into the sauce a bit)
  3. Close the cooker and set for 10 minutes on high.
    NOTE: it will take about 10 minutes for pressure cooker to pressurize before the cook cycle.
    (If using frozen chicken, cook for 13 minutes on high)
  4. While the chicken cooks, microwave the peppers, potatoes, and carrots for 3 -5 minutes to soften.
  5. After the the cook cycle, allow for 10 minutes of natural release time, then quick release the remaining pressure.
  6. Open up the pot, and remove the chicken (put it on a plate for a bit)
  7. Blend the sauce together, preferably using an immersion blender.
    (If using cottage cheese, add it in and use the immersion blender on it.)
  8. Add the cut up butter, cream, cilantro, and stir until well incorporated.
    (Taste the sauce -  add the second teaspoon of garam masala as well unless the spice level seems too high for you. I added it.)
  9. Add in the veggies, and turn on saute. Stir sauce, and wait for it to thicken.

Carole's Notes:

We liked this! The chicken was soft and tender. The spice level worked for both Doug and me.
I followed Sue's advice, and added some extra veggies at the end. This time I cooked the bell peppers with the chicken - they were mushy. Next time I will add them later, as I noted in the recipe above.

The recipe is adapted from https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

No comments:

Post a Comment